Baked oatmeal is a hearty choice for breakfast, particularly in the colder months. I like to make this ahead of time then place it in the oven in the morning. Feel free to play around with spice and fruit combinations. Adding cloves and ground ginger make a lovely touch.
What you’ll need:
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 large banana, chopped
- 1¹∕3 cup regular rolled oats
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups milk (your choice of milk)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Crunchy Cinnamon Topping
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (raw sugar or your choice of sugar works well)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- Pinch cinnamon
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a four-cup baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peeled and chopped apple, chopped banana, oats, chia seeds, raisins, pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour into casserole dish and set aside.
- Mix together topping ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle over oatmeal.
- Bake oatmeal in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, watching carefully to ensure it doesn’t burn near the end. Serve immediately with some grated apple and maple syrup.
Note: This keeps well in the fridge. To reheat simply add a dash of milk before heating up.
Photo courtesy of www.fullofbeansphotography.com