Ready to feel your best this Summer? We chat with Anthony Pierobon from FNF South Yarra to give us some of his top tips to feel great in your body this Summer.
Warmer weather means trips to beach or a quick dip in the pool which sounds great until you put on your swimsuit or boardies. But never fear just follow these 5 steps and you will be summer ready.
1. Set a goal and make a plan – Sounds cliché but if your goal is that summer body you will need a plan. Personally, I don’t like weight loss goals – the scales can lie, weight loss might be due to dehydration not fat loss. My clients take photos and I also take their skinfolds (to measure fat). If you need help setting up a plan, ask a trainer.
2. Lift weights – Studies show that lifting weights is more effective than cardio if you want to lose bodyfat. However not all exercises are created equal! The most effective exercises are compound exercise that involve multiple joints and muscle groups. Squatting, lunging, Pushing, pulling, deadlifting and let’s not forget about core work. Again, if you need help ask.
3. Finish off your workouts with some HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training. Some sprints on a bike, treadmill or rower. Try 1 minute on (working hard), 1 minute off (slow 50% or walking), for 10 mins. FNF run several Qmax classes that are all interval based – New York HIIT is an awesome workout.
4. Clean up your diet – Most people think their diet is not that bad. Sometimes they are right, but most of the times we find a little extra food education goes a long way. It can be really confusing but what works well is increasing your protein intake and cutting down on carbohydrates. Cut back on rice, pasta, bread and potatoes – try to eat more above ground vegetables especially the green ones.
5. Sleep – Critical when fat loss is the goal. Aim for at least 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night. We often forget that sleep is where our bodies repair, and failure to get enough sleep can cause increased muscular tension and elevated stress hormones leading to fat gain instead of fat loss.
Seems simple, but in all seriousness getting in great shape requires a holistic approach. You can train as hard as you like but if the other areas are in check you will only get a portion of the results.
With 15 years’ in the fitness industry Anthony Pierobon is one of FNF’s most experienced Personal Trainers. He has a Master’s Degree in Exercise Sports Science and specialises in altering clients body composition in 12 weeks.