Bellissimo Broccoli & Bacon Pasta
Take your tastebuds on a trip to Italy tonight! Try this Bellissimo Broccoli & Bacon Pasta recipe. This will make 4 or so portions so great for 2 to 4 people. Just double the amounts for more people!
You will need:
- 1 x 500g box of Penne Rigate (we used De Cecco brand)
- 1 x 250g pack of good quality Bacon (we used Schultz brand), cut into 1cm strips
- 2 medium/large heads of Broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 medium Brown Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 good pinch of dried Red Chilli flakes (optional for those chilli lovers)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Good pinch of Sea Salt flakes (we used Maldon brand)
- Cracked Black Pepper
Freshly grated Regiano Parmesan Cheese to taste
Step 1: Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut the bacon into 1cm strips, cut the broccoli into small florets, finely chop the onion and garlic.
Step 2: Cook pasta and broccoli in the boiling salted water for the required time (check packet) or until al dente. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan over low heat for a few minutes before adding the bacon, onion, (and chilli flakes if you want to heat things up). Cook for a few minutes until the bacon starts to crisp up and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute then remove from the heat.
Step 3: Drain the pasta and broccoli, saving a little of the pasta water as you may need some later, add the pasta and broccoli back to the saucepan and pour in the bacon, garlic & oil mixture. Add the salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste and toss through until the broccoli and oil mixture has coated the pasta. The broccoli will break down and form a sauce. Serve immediately with some freshly grated Regiano Parmesan cheese.